Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Getting Organized

The disorganization of our abode has been bothering me for awhile. But I’m easily overwhelmed. To illustrate this fact, about nine months ago I started going through my clothes. The goal was to pack away maternity clothes and get rid of things I was just never going to fit into EVER AGAIN and the things I just didn’t like. Now, being a mother of very young twins (if I had to guess they would’ve been  7 months old) who works full-time, I can’t say I have a ton of extra time. This project did NOT get finished in the time allowed. And so for the past NINE MONTHS, piles of clothes and half-filled trash bags were everywhere in our already tiny room. And this mess has been driving me crazy ever since.

A month ago, DH went out of town and I decided I was going to finish this once and for all.  And it was such a great feeling to finally go through everything and get those bags out of the house! It felt so good I wanted to tackle other areas. Then I stumbled upon this fabulous blog about organizing – www.orgjunkie.com. She has this fabulous concept about tackling one problem area a week – 52 Weeks of Organizing! I know it’s not rocket science but it was just what I needed to break down my own personal barriers to getting organized.

Weekends are really the only time I can devote to things like this and we were out of town last weekend but I printed out the list and almost have a full column of problem areas. I’ll be able to do some items a few at a time but others may take more than one weekend. But I don’t even know if I had 25 so it shouldn’t even take us a half a year!

Our bedroom and the nursery were first. I’ve done half of the laundry/pantry area but need another weekend to finish it. A big problem for us is space. I’m not exaggerating when I say our house is tiny. I’ve lived in apartments bigger than our house – it’s around 800 sq ft! Add to that the fact that our twins are into EVERYTHING and can climb up on chairs, this further limits us as far as real estate for things like laptops, papers, etc. So finding a system that works us is a challenge.

Paper is an issue for us and I found this great post via orgjunkie about filing paper.

And I’m a huge fan of lists so I loved these free list printables. I actually use scrap paper but I love seeing the ideas for how to organize my lists!

What are your organizational challenges?

No comments: