Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Au Natural Deodorant

I've been reading about homemade deodorant for awhile. But like so many other things, I tuck it away in the back of mind for some day down the road when I have a little more spare time than I do right now. I was interested out of curiosity to see if it really worked.

I'm not a heavy sweater so when using conventional deodorant, I can apply every other day after my shower. A couple deodorant containers ago, I started using Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal. I decided to switch to Naturally Fresh because it was paraben and fragrance free and it only had six ingredients. Plus, I was happy with how it scored on the cosmetic database. I think it's unrealistic to avoid every chemical that's bad for you. The only difference that I noticed when switching from my Degree to the Naturally Fresh was that I had to apply it everyday. I can handle that.

I also tried Kiss My Face Active Enzyme deodorant and it did not work for me. I was bummed because I did the like the scent.

A couple weeks ago, I went to a Nourishing Connections meeting (our local chapter of the Weston A Price Foundation). After the initial presentation, someone talked about green cleaning products, the Environmental Working Group's Cosmetic Safety Database and homemade deodorant! The best part? She had samples in small baby food bottles for $2! I was thrilled to be able to buy a small sample to see what I thought before buying the ingredients and mixing it up myself!

Recipe:
6-8 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot
Mix together in a blender or food processor. I also think you could add a drop or two of the essential oil of your choice.

Does it work? Yes. Just like the other, I have to apply it everyday but I have no noticeable body odor. It has a barely noticeable hint of coconut smell which is nice. I just use my finger to rub it in but I have read about people who take the time to put it in an old deodorant container for ease of application.

I have not worn it with any delicate fabrics yet but I have worn it with several of my black shirts and have not noticed any oil stains. Also, it hasn't gotten very hot out. DH did wear it one day to work and was pleased with it in this cool weather. I want to have him test it out when it gets HOT (he's Hungarian and a gardener). I've never met anyone who sweats as much as he does!

Would I recommend it? I won't be harassing family members to ditch their deodorant for this fabulous concoction, but I would definitely suggest it for people who are trying to save money or lessen their exposure to chemicals.

No comments: